Bombay High Court extends summons to Alia Bhatt for Gangubhai Katyawadi

High Court extends summons to Alia Bhatt and 2 others.` (Photo credit: Instagram / aliaabhatt)

High Court extends summons to Alia Bhatt and 2 others.` (Photo credit: Instagram / aliaabhatt)

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday stayed the proceedings in the criminal defamation case filed against Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt, writers S Hussain Sehdi and Jane Borges in connection with the upcoming Hindi film Ganguly Katyawadi.

In August this year, the single bench of Justice SK Shinde extended the stay granted by the High Court. Earlier this year, Bhatt and others had approached the high court against the summons issued by the magistrate’s court against Babuji Shah, who claims to be the adopted son of Ganguly Katyawadi, alleging that parts of the film were defamatory and tarnished his image. The late mother was a powerful madam from Kamathipura, a red light area in Mumbai in the 1960s.

Justice Shinde said on Wednesday that Shah had failed to prove that he was Katyawadi’s legally adopted son.

The High Court said that the matter deserves attention as only the next of kin or family members of a person have the right to file a complaint in a defamation case. “The matter deserves attention as the right to file a complaint against defamation is restricted to family members or close relatives, so it is important to prove that Mr. Shah is one of them,” the High Court said.

The bench said that the case has been taken up to grant interim relief to Bhatt and others at first sight and the proceedings and summons against them have been stayed till further hearing on their plea in the High Court.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here